Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dog's have literary preferences

You may find this hard to believe, but some dogs have a great interest in literature. Take Timmie, for instance. When he first came to the house I was engaged in a BA Mod at UCD, with English Lit as my preferred subject (major). In order to fully appreciate Chaucer, Spencer and so on you really have to read their work out loud, and try very hard to use the pronunciation that the lecturers tell you was used back in the day... if you don't, you won't find the rhythm that was intended. Anyhow this meant that I spent long evenings ensconsed in my bedroom far away from those in my family who considered me mad enough already, reading Canterbury Tales and The Faerie Queene out loud. And every evening, there was Timmie, all of 5 months old at the time, sitting with his nose on the other side of the book, entranced.......

Izzy also has a taste for literature. So far she has digested Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Ante Room and Close Quarters. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment